Thursday, January 3, 2013

A First Christmas and a First Very Happy New Year

This year, we celebrated Sister J's first Christmas and first New Year with us in our home! Last Christmas I hoped for it and am so glad that that prayer was fulfilled. We did not plan any vacation trips because we did not know how she would handle things so soon after coming home. Well, who would have known she would take things so well in her stride.

Christmas Eve:
We went to the Ind*an church for the midnight mass for the first time since Sister J got home. It is about an hour long drive to this church but totally worth the extra effort so the kids get to attend mass in our native tongue and socialize with children of our community as well. Plus there is lunch every Sunday after the catechism classes (mom loves this)! Sister J did great at church and followed the cues for standing, sitting, kneeling, and even the prayers and seemed very familiar with it all. It was such a joy watching her. After the mass we all went downstairs to the community meeting hall where food was being served. It was crowded and noisy while the children performed a Christmas skit and sang Christmas carols and danced on the stage. Sister J clung to me the entire time, and I could barely eat. Daddy J came to the rescue and held her for some time just enough for me to finish eating. Our friends who had known of our adoption journey were happy to see Sister J and she played around, laughed and giggled with them, all the while in my arms. These friends had prayed for us during those difficult days of waiting and were thrilled for us. There were many people who did not know that we had just adopted. So there were many curious looks with many questions, but were afraid to ask least it offend us. You see, adoptions are extremely rare in our community, let alone adoption in a family that already has biological kids. We were prepared for this, so it was fine. Those that asked us questions, I was able to happily share how amazing, albeit long, our journey was. We took Sister J to meet our parish priest who also knew of our journey and advised us well regarding the adjustment phase, the travels etc.    

Christmas Day:
On Christmas morning Sister J came down in her cute Christmas pajamas, while Brother J decided that Christmas pajamas were not his thing. Brother J as sweet as he is, brought her downstairs and helped her sort and open her presents. Before we knew it, there was wrapping paper all over the place, and Sister J just sat there in the middle of it all, not moving, and not knowing what to make of it all. She sat there holding a new doll present she had received. It was quite a sight. We also wrapped her with the torn off wrapping paper and put a bow on her head. She was truly our Christmas present this year! She has not shown much interest in a lot of the toys, except the dolls, and we are introducing toys to her slowly, once at a time. Brother J had a long list that he prepared for Santa on Christmas eve and only some of the toys made it under the tree. Somehow he starts believing in Santa just around Christmas time. Yeah Right! I can't wait till next year when Sister J understands more about Christmas.

Under the Christmas tree, we have a nativity scene and as soon as I told her that the baby was "Eesho (Jesus)", she touched the face of baby Jesus and kissed it. She was used to it at the orphanage. During the Christmas break we visited friends and she did just fine even though some of these visits went late into the night. This Christmas, as a new ornament adorned our tree and we had a quite little celebration at home, we gave thanks for the very many blessings in our lives, including our childREN and our health.
Our sweet dog is game for anything!

Brother J always ready to help.

Beautiful Messy Morning

Our new ornament hung on the tree exactly at her
One Month Home anniversary 
Happy New Year:
For New Years eve, we went to a friend's house for a birthday party and we had our group of friends there. As usual there was Bollywood music and dance. Brother J is usually shy and he just took off to play with his friends. Sister J on the other hand started putting her hands up in the air and rocking. But I guess it got too loud for her, so she clung onto me and watched the rest of the dads and moms dancing.  At times she even let other friends hold her and I got a break to go eat. But somehow she always knew that I was her go-to-person. Once upstairs, she sat around with the other kids and played with them. Clearly, large crowds and loud music is too much for her right now. It was still a wonderful evening, ringing in the New Year with our friends who welcomed our sweet daughter so warmly.

We were so thankful for being able to celebrate with Sister J home this year. I hope and pray that for all of the families waiting for their babies to come home, next year this time will be a sweet moment with each of their children in their arms. Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and wishing everyone a new year filled with happiness and health. God Bless.    



9 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes for your joy at having your daughter's first Christmas! How wonderful -- and how well she did at Mass and with the parties. You must be doing a great job with her! Happy New Year to your family of four,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I really think that they prepared her so well at the orphanage that it helped a ton when she came home. She just seems to be going with the flow and just starting to show her true self and it is fun to see. This is going to be a very different and wonderful New Year for us... and for you too!

      Delete
  2. LOVE this post J! J is doing SO well and is clearly attaching to you! I just love picturing you with her!!!! Big hugs and happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do secretly love it when she clings to me, though it is a bit tiring... LOL. After all that wait, I'll take it! LOL

      Delete
    2. I totally get this!!! I can't wait until I'm tired from Munni hanging on me :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like such a wonderful Christmas and New Year's celebration. You know how to party. :) I want to see a video of you dancing.

    I am so happy baby J is home and you celebrated your first Christmas together. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mer, I don't dance well... My husband is way better than me... But then when the dance floor is dark, I'm not shy... hahaha... Not just a bathroom singer, also a dark floor dancer... hahaha

      Delete
  4. Um, I want to go to your New Year's Eve parties!!! They sound so fun!! LOVE that Sweet J was your Christmas present- the best one of them all!! And that Brother J was so willing to help her unwrap her presents :) And TREVOR!! What a sport!! I'm so, so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog. Meredith has told me so much about you that I feel I already know you! I'm enjoying reading your blog! And, of course, if you'd like to post anything from my blog, feel free. I'm just glad that it was encouraging to you in some way. Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete

Had I shared this with you in person, you would have said something to me... so go ahead and say it in the comment box :-)