On the referral call, one of the first things we were instructed by our agency to do, was to get all the referral medical records
evaluated by an international adoption physician. This is a standard
practice and many agencies will not allow you to proceed unless you have
had this evaluation completed by an international adoption doctor. I
was told that the agency wants to make sure that parents do everything
to be well informed as they make the commitment. Just like a home study
eligibility, they want to make sure the family has the capability and
means to make the commitment specifically for that particular child's specific need. As I
mentioned in another post, even if the home study is approved for one type
of special need, each child is different and may require different
resources. So this helps the parents to be prepared especially regarding the resources they will need once the child gets home.
Our international adoption doctor discussed and explained her medical records to us. Then she recommended that we ask the orphanage to do another test. Honestly at that point we were just so happy at getting the referral, we didn't want to delay further with any additional tests. In some cases, additional tests may be essential. In our case, we thought this was a test that we would possibly put off till later. We knew that regardless of the test result, we would be able to provide the resources should the need arise once baby girl got home. We already knew that most institutionalized children are behind in their developmental milestones and she would be too. I was still worried about her delayed speech, but was told by many that kids pick up very fast once they are home. We were not done there. Our international adoption doctor wanted us to speak with another specialist. Incidentally, this type of specialist happens to be the same kind of specialist that I had started seeing just a few years ago!!! How amazing is that! We both would have the same kind of specialist and would go to the same clinic eventually. I had chills when I realized the similarity and it was starting to dawn on me how God can make things "meant to be".
I spoke with two specialists and then a third one even though I never expected it. Honestly I had thought that I'd be lucky if I just spoke to one. Around the same time I happened to be chatting with someone through whom I truly believe God spoke to me and calmed my worries. During all this, I had another pediatrician friend "S" who helped answer so many of my questions too. I honestly do believe that me talking to all of these experts were not mere chance or coincidence. Those were God-sent opportunities!
More on these chance encounters will follow soon... I can't wait to share it.
Our international adoption doctor discussed and explained her medical records to us. Then she recommended that we ask the orphanage to do another test. Honestly at that point we were just so happy at getting the referral, we didn't want to delay further with any additional tests. In some cases, additional tests may be essential. In our case, we thought this was a test that we would possibly put off till later. We knew that regardless of the test result, we would be able to provide the resources should the need arise once baby girl got home. We already knew that most institutionalized children are behind in their developmental milestones and she would be too. I was still worried about her delayed speech, but was told by many that kids pick up very fast once they are home. We were not done there. Our international adoption doctor wanted us to speak with another specialist. Incidentally, this type of specialist happens to be the same kind of specialist that I had started seeing just a few years ago!!! How amazing is that! We both would have the same kind of specialist and would go to the same clinic eventually. I had chills when I realized the similarity and it was starting to dawn on me how God can make things "meant to be".
I spoke with two specialists and then a third one even though I never expected it. Honestly I had thought that I'd be lucky if I just spoke to one. Around the same time I happened to be chatting with someone through whom I truly believe God spoke to me and calmed my worries. During all this, I had another pediatrician friend "S" who helped answer so many of my questions too. I honestly do believe that me talking to all of these experts were not mere chance or coincidence. Those were God-sent opportunities!
More on these chance encounters will follow soon... I can't wait to share it.
I just LOVE your posts! Sweet J was brought into your family and she truly is the perfect fit!!! I just love how God writes our stories!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your encouragement, Nikki. I do believe that our long wait was meant to bring Sister J and us together
DeleteLove how God connected the dots for your family. He really does work things out.
ReplyDeleteIt is so nice to get opinions from specialists...our "mama hearts" have lots of questions, and sometimes it is nice for me to hear some educated opinions instead of just my "wonderings"... :)