Thursday, December 20, 2012

Adoption Backstory- Specialists and all...

Once our international adoption doctor instructed us to speak with a specialist, I was scrambling to find contacts who may know one of these specialists. Finding them was not hard, just getting an appointment would be difficult. So I reached out to some of my contacts at two of the large medical centers nearby. I figured that I'd better try all my contacts with the hope that at least one of them can put me in touch with their own contacts, and one may click. If not, we would just go ahead and tell the agency that we had at least spoken with the general adoption doctor. I doubt they would force us to talk to the specialist. Who knew, but we just did not want to go against their instructions for due diligence.

Turns out that I was able to get in touch with doctors at both the hospitals in a matter of just couple of days! One of the specialist doctors actually called me at home at 9 PM and spoke to me for over half an hour going over the details presented in the medical records. He explained all the potential issues to expect down the road, etc. I was totally blown away by his kindness and generosity with his time. Had I gone in for an appointment with him, imagine the wait time for an appointment, the fees, etc. And he did not know me at all! I felt so blessed. That reminds me, I should send a photo of baby girl to these wonderful doctors as well.

Just the next day, I received a call from the pharmacist at the second hospital, on her cell phone, wanting to put me in touch with another specialist doctor who was willing to explain some of the medical records to me. I was so touched. In this case too, I did not know the pharmacist or the specialist doctor. They were complete strangers to me, who were willing to go above and beyond for us and our daughter.

My next specialist encounter was the best! I happened to be at my own appointment to see my specialist and hoped that he would look at some of the records and explain some of it to me. I chuckle at this, because it is so typical me to research the research that I have already done. LOL. He looked at it, and sat down to draw a diagram to explain it to me. No wonder I love this doc. He then proceeded to tell me that the other specialist who sees the pediatric patients may be in the clinic that day, and he offered to take her medical records to him and ask him if he had anything to add. I was on cloud 9! Could this really be happening? I had no appointment, I didn't even know that this Pediatric doctor was in the clinic let alone hearing his opinion. My doc came back to my examination room and guess what he said! The Pediatric doctor wanted to come and speak with me IN PERSON!!! Really?! I just about fell off the chair. the Pediatric specialist came in and sat there with me for a few minutes explaining the condition, what it entails, what it might mean for us, for her, etc.  I knew quite a bit of it from some of my own readings too, but he did add to my understanding of the situation.

Seriously, I was in researcher heaven! I am a researcher at heart and never make my final decision without complete research, even though I know the answer right from the get go. It's just a compulsion for me. It's one of those things where you always go by what your heart says, but you try to pacify your head too along the way. If these three specialist encounters did not do the research for me on it's own, I don't know what else would. I knew it in my heart that the reason I was able to speak with these three specialists was because God paved the way for it to happen. The three specialists gave us a very objective and neutral opinion, which included both the good and the bad about a health condition. The fact that I was able to have such quick and easy access to them, was a testimony that the Lord was working things out for us and our baby girl. He wanted to put my researcher mind at ease. He knows I am a worrier and he just wanted me to have the Faith.

For months, I have been dying to share this and the next post as my testimony how the Lord held my hand through the adoption process. We just need to allow him to lead the way.         

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Your posts remind me of the verse that talks about how, if we earthly parents want to give our children good things, how much more does our Father in heaven want to give us good things? I am really enjoying your story!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, Nancy! I love it when I am reminded of these verses. Thanks, Nancy.

      Delete
  2. Neato! You have had some really sweet medical providers.
    Amazing, really.
    Will be fun and encouraging to read more of your testimony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Colista. I am still in awe of how quickly things fell into place with those medical providers. I pray that things get rolling to bring A home fast! :-)

      Delete

Had I shared this with you in person, you would have said something to me... so go ahead and say it in the comment box :-)