A few months ago, after an adoption conversation with a friend, I got thinking about how the seed of adoption was sown in my heart. I still do not have a clear idea of exactly when/how it really happened, it could have been just gradual. There were no adoptive families around me as I grew up. The only thing I can think of are some of my undergrad college experiences, though I know it is lifelong experiences that really mould us. While in college, I was active in the campus ministry and the St. Vincent De Paul society which were a very important part of my life. We did many projects as a part of these groups.
One college summer I was one of the lucky few who went to a rural and impoverished part of Kentucky for a very special outreach program. We drove for about 15 hours (I think) and stayed there for a week helping build a new school for the community. It was a very deserted and densely wooded but a very beautiful place. If I recall correctly, many of their students were drop-outs from the regular public school. In fact, I recall hearing that the drop out rates in that area was extremely high even among the adult population. The couple who ran the existing small school had a large family of their own, and they were still growing! Their means were limited, yet they found it in their heart to serve the children in their community. I was young then, but still could see that this family sacrificed a lot to keep this school afloat. I think it may have been mostly donations and volunteers that kept up the school. I honestly cannot remember a whole lot of details. But I do remember thinking that this family could have taken a much easier path, but they chose to be there, to do what they were called to do, and they stuck to it. They were not adoptive parents and there were no adoptive children in their family. What struck me was their willingness to give while in need themselves. Most of all, the way they answered their calling even though it was a difficult path to tread.
I know, I did not leave that place inspired to adopt. I remember thinking it was their calling to serve those children, and realizing that it was not an easy life for them. I recall seeing the strong commitment that this special family had made, to answer their call, against all odds. Each time I thought of them over the years, I have said a prayer for them. So many others like them have touched me and inspired me along the way, but this was one of the earliest I could remember and I wanted to share it.
Somewhere along the road of life, adoption was whispered into my heart, the seed was sown. Many experiences of my life has pushed me along. Many people have rallied around us at different times. But one of my major inspirations was this couple and their family in that rural town in Kentucky. I think they inspired me to be persistent in answering my call. Then again, it could have been God, who was persistent in calling me to adoption and to hang in there till it's completion despite all the hurdles along the way and the very long wait. God may have just chosen the most unexpected people to come into your life and inspire you, perhaps even strangers, even bloggers.

One college summer I was one of the lucky few who went to a rural and impoverished part of Kentucky for a very special outreach program. We drove for about 15 hours (I think) and stayed there for a week helping build a new school for the community. It was a very deserted and densely wooded but a very beautiful place. If I recall correctly, many of their students were drop-outs from the regular public school. In fact, I recall hearing that the drop out rates in that area was extremely high even among the adult population. The couple who ran the existing small school had a large family of their own, and they were still growing! Their means were limited, yet they found it in their heart to serve the children in their community. I was young then, but still could see that this family sacrificed a lot to keep this school afloat. I think it may have been mostly donations and volunteers that kept up the school. I honestly cannot remember a whole lot of details. But I do remember thinking that this family could have taken a much easier path, but they chose to be there, to do what they were called to do, and they stuck to it. They were not adoptive parents and there were no adoptive children in their family. What struck me was their willingness to give while in need themselves. Most of all, the way they answered their calling even though it was a difficult path to tread.
I know, I did not leave that place inspired to adopt. I remember thinking it was their calling to serve those children, and realizing that it was not an easy life for them. I recall seeing the strong commitment that this special family had made, to answer their call, against all odds. Each time I thought of them over the years, I have said a prayer for them. So many others like them have touched me and inspired me along the way, but this was one of the earliest I could remember and I wanted to share it.
Somewhere along the road of life, adoption was whispered into my heart, the seed was sown. Many experiences of my life has pushed me along. Many people have rallied around us at different times. But one of my major inspirations was this couple and their family in that rural town in Kentucky. I think they inspired me to be persistent in answering my call. Then again, it could have been God, who was persistent in calling me to adoption and to hang in there till it's completion despite all the hurdles along the way and the very long wait. God may have just chosen the most unexpected people to come into your life and inspire you, perhaps even strangers, even bloggers.

Thanks for sharing some of the beginning of your story -- I always love hearing how God loves and speaks to people so individually.
ReplyDeleteNancy
This is beautiful, J....I love it. It is amazing how the Lord places things on our heart that our so from Him...and then He does indeed give us all we need to follow through with them.... :)
ReplyDelete