Friday, December 7, 2012

A Warm Heart on a Cold Winter Day

I woke up to a really cold wintry day, reluctant to get out of bed not just because it was too cold for me this morning but also because I did not want to end the blissful snuggling of my two little bunnies on either side of me. It was just one of those moments that you do not want to end.

Yesterday Brother J came home sick from school. He usually does not fake illness and I never question it. However, yesterday I wondered if it was a sign of wanting to spend more alone time with me, now that he has to share his mummy-time with his little sister. Turns out, he really was sick. I brought him home, and put him to bed after smothering him with some TLC. He loves being pampered with meals being served in bed on a tray, when he is sick. Sweet Sister J also joined in the TLC. She sat beside him and rubbed his face and gave him a tight hug. Brother J totally enjoyed the papering.  Daddy J came home in the evening and after some playtime with the kids, went back to work and wouldn't be back till very late at night. So the three of us snuggled under the warm freshly-changed flannel sheets (I love my flannel sheets). Sister J is such a great sleeper she drifted off to sleep pretty quickly. So it was a great time for me to talk to my not-so-little boy, share with him my childhood stories of my sick days and reassure him, as I've done so many times before, that this mama bear loves both her baby bears very much. 

Though he was feeling better in the morning, we decided it was going to be a sick day only because he had to be 24 hours "sick-free". So I decided to take the kids to McDonalds (I know not a good choice, don't judge me). Sister J was about to experience her very first McD breakfast and playhouse and I wanted to make sure she had her brother with her showing her the ropes in that playhouse. She enjoyed her pancakes and oh! what a neat eater she is. It is a joy watching her eat and wipe off her mouth with the napkin after taking a bite. Soon she was heading toward the playhouse with Brother J right behind her. It was so wonderful to see how she let him help her take off her shoes, and climb up and play. When they got to the top of the slide, Brother J called out to me to make sure the slide was clear for him to let her go. The glee in her voice as she came down the slide was priceless. I wish I had my camera to capture her static-y hair sticking up. After each slide down, she waited for Brother J and said "inni inni (again, again)" and he happily took her hand to help her climb up for the next slide down. It warmed my heart to see how she reached out to her brother to help her along in the playhouse; how even though he is kind of growing too old to be in the playhouse/jungle gym, he still wanted to play in it so Sister J could enjoy it.

It was a wonderful day of sibling attachment and bonding. It has been truly a blessing and I look forward to many more of these moments. On this cold frigid morning, my heart was warm thanks to these two sweet children who are really my two hearts!        

5 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! It's so much fun to watch those "firsts," and especially to see the bonds of love growing before your very eyes!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE every word of this post!!! You are such a wonderful mummy and both of your little J's are such precious little angels!!! Big hugs!!
    P.S. I LOVE my flannel sheets too!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE pampering my children when they are sick. It is the BEST. I am so glad you had this time with both of them. And you know, I would NEVER EVER judge you for going to McDonald's. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McDonalds is close to my heart as it was my very first job! LOL... I have to have my McD's fix every once in a while.

      Delete

Had I shared this with you in person, you would have said something to me... so go ahead and say it in the comment box :-)